Tuesday 30 June 2020

Light and Dark


I've been wondering today, what exactly is it about the Fae and fiction containing them that fascinates me? Out of all books, the ones that, more often than not, drag me in and get me addicted to the story are about Faeries. 

I'm not talking about the twee fairies, the delicate and tiny beings we discover as kids. No, I am totally fascinated by the vicious beings of old tales; Seelie and Unseelie courts, Light and Dark, Summer and Winter. 

Most of the stories I read introduce you to this darkness and the light that is supposed to counter it. However, the story generally takes a turn somewhere showing you that the darkness is not always what it seems and purity of the light can be dazzling and vicious just the same. The constant images we are fed by society and the media, that we are good OR we are bad, that we are evil OR pure. These images are torn apart in these books and the hapless human in the picture, seemingly mundane and useless, usually ends up surprising everyone. 

I think it is this recognition that we are all light AND dark, and that we are all useful that I latch onto. That there is this in-between where it is ok to be a bit of both. It never really hurts that there is usually a very lush male to read about and the Fae are unapologetically perfect.

It's not just that though, there is an underlying message of loving people for who they are and not judging the "flaws" that others see. Can we love the darkness in someone as well as their light?


light, dark, pillow, city, night, darkness, forest, shadow, magic ...

Which are my favourite Fae stories? Hmm, Holly Black is the queen of the faeries, Marrissa Marr and Julie Kagawa are two other favourites. Maggie Steifvater has penned some lovely Fae books (though my favourites of hers are the Raven Cycle). A little more on the adult side of things L K Hamilton and Sarah J Maas have both written series that I have loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by