Monday 1 June 2020

The Things I Could Never Say

Back to the prompts, just to see if I can get some of those juices going again. What better time to revitalise something than during this strange lockdown. So here goes....  

        Write about the three things he could never tell her


Jack sat on the edge of his bed fiddling with the cuf of his tux playing over the last conversation he had with Dani. 

Dani looked into the full length mirror, head cocked to the side like her spanial Chica. Gingerly she picked up the chiffon of the very, very white dress and let it float back down. Jack had said he was an open book, he'd said I knew all of him. Can I still do this knowing he is lying? Can I do this knowing I'm was lying too?

Dani was right, marriage can only work between two people who are completely open. Should they even do this? There are things she can never know. Three things in fact.

He can never know that I am part of The Collective; part of the underground network of operatives fighting to keep the world safe.

She can never know my underground persona, the suit I wear, the mask that protects me and her.

He will never know that I have killed those that have tried to usurp the peace of this world.
She will never know that I have killed those that have tried to usurp the peace of this world.

Standing here infront of the minister I know I am doing the right thing, love has to be more important than everything else. Given a choice I would protect her, only her.

The music starts and I push throuh the doors certain that this is right. Above all else I know he loves me and I love him; we are worth fighting for. I slowly walk down the aisle, passing all the empty pues with my eyes on him, just him. Then I hear my internal comm bleep and Jack is walking towards me.

Seriously, of all the moments I get comm'd in the middle of getting married. It's an all hands on deck call, there must be trouble. Generally The Collective are solitary workers, we get a call and do the job then debrief, opperatives don't tend to mix. Walking up the aisle I am about to start my apology, I have no idea what to say.

He's walking towards me, I'm going to need to cover my calls better. Stopping dead in the middle of the aisle is probably a bit obvious but I need to go. "Sorry," I say as soon as he is in earshot. "I have to go," I blurt. Before I can see his response I turn and run, kicking off my heels as I go.

I pull up at the bunker and am so preoccupied by Dani's exit that I don't look where I am going as I walk through the garage enterance and straight into someone. "Dani?"

"Jack?"


 


Haha, who can tell I've been catching up on superhero tv?!

Let's not make it so long before the next catch up.....I think that is what I am taking from 2020!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by